Wednesday, July 31, 2013

On to Ohio. Again.

I have avoided this post like the plague. 

I have gone to write it, then rewrite it time and time again only to stop half way and shut off my computer.

I think that if this post really does happen, if I share to everyone what my next step is, it is actually happening. 

I don't know if I am quite ready for it yet.

But here goes, guess life just doesn't have a pause button, at least not when you want it.

*****

I am moving to Ohio.

There. I said it. Like ripping off a band-aid quickly. It has been a decision that has been long in the process and it has come time for me to follow through with it and just do it. So as of August 21st I will be back in Ohio. What a surreal feeling. When people ask me what the heck I am thinking or what has prompted this move, I honestly don't know what to tell them other than it just feels like the right step.

 Can you have two complete opposite feelings at the same time? Because I do. All the time.  

I love Utah! I love everything about this place. I love all the people I have met. I love how beautiful it is. I love the weather. I love every ward I have been in. I love how strong the church is here. I love everything you can do here. I love that I actually know how to get around. Utah is comfortable to me. Utah is safe for me. Utah is home for me. When people ask where I am moving to, I tell them, "Oh back to Ohio" or "back with my parents for a bit." Because I just can't bring myself to call Ohio home, not when I have spent so many years working to make Utah my home. 

To be honest, I am tired of moving. I have done it my whole life. I think the longest I have ever stayed in one place was eight years...that is a record! Usually only in a place for four or five years and then I am off again. So when I moved back out to Utah for school, I was determined I was going to make this place my home. Did't matter if I was married with a small family in a small town or single and working my dream job in the city, this was going to be my final stop. This was going to be where I created and nourished all my memories to come.

 Over the last few months I have received tender mercy after tender mercy leading me to Ohio though and as scared and as sad as it makes me, I feel strangely at peace with it all. I tried to make moving to Salt Lake work. I then tried to make staying in Logan work. To this day I still feel like either one is a great option and nothing bad would come of it. But I was never at peace with those decisions. I always felt anxious and nervous and so confused and out of place. The moment I realized I decided to move back to Ohio I was so calm and felt like this is going to work. Ohio is where I am needed now.

Of course I have a whole new set of nerves and anxiety setting in because I feel nervous and sad at the exact same time I feel calm and ready. I have panic attacks on a weekly basis and yet I continue to start packing, turn in my two weeks, and buy my plane ticket. That is so not normal, right? haha. I guess that is why it took me so long to accept this idea.

I know now though that these feelings of anxiety and depression are not from making a dumb decision, but from letting fear and doubt take over my life. I don't have a plan when I get to Ohio. Get a job. Hopefully one I will enjoy. That literally is the extent of my planning. I feel like every time I plan any further, something else comes along and the entire plan is thrown out the window. Also, I might have made the decision but that does not mean it is getting any easier. 

Leaving behind amazing friends and a life I created over the last seven years was never going to be easy.

 It is damn hard. 

If you are still reading this, I do want to let you know I am not always having a pity party. I do know that there are people struggling with trials beyond my comprehension. I have been blessed with an amazing friend right now who has been so positive and uplifting every step of the way. He is constantly reminding me that I will be more than okay because the Lord is not going to leave me now, if anything I am going to feel Him closer than ever before. I have had parents who have supported me 100% and helped organize the chaos of it all. I don't know how people do it, go through life without believing in and relying on our Lord. I tried it once years ago and I have never been more miserable. As hard and as trying as this move is going to be, I already know I am a step ahead of my past. I am doing this with the Lord at my side who is so tenderly trying to help hold me as I walk and who will ever so gently pick me up when I fall and carry me the rest of the way. 

Pic Source: Deseret Book on Pinterest.com

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Love ya, girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel grateful being able to meet you so many years ago when you were fresh to UT. I wish you the best with your adventure! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ready-Set-Grow really was just an awesome place! Thank you so much for the support. I am so glad I can keep up with you through your blog :)

      Delete
  3. Toni! I know it has been FOREVER since we have talked, but I loved your post! It made me think of when my husband and I were dating, and I was praying to know if marriage was the right step for us, and I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace. However, weeks later, I began to get nervous and worried that maybe it wasn't the right thing to do. I was talking to my roommate who had just come off a mission, and she said something I will always remember! She said, "Remember that Satan can imitate many feelings. He can imitate doubt and fear... but he can never imitate peace." I can tell you already know this! You are going to the place you are needed, and we'll all be excited to find out why! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the support Jaelynn! You are just so amazing and I love that I can keep in touch through facebook and blogging :)

      Delete
  4. Oh :( I am so sad about this, but so happy for you at the same time. I am glad you are at peace with the decision. Although, this totally ruins my plan to set you up with my friend-- he lives in AZ now, and I've been trying for months to figure out how to get him up to UT--- how on earth will I get him to Ohio?! ah well, maybe someday you will both be in UT at the same time. Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Well tell your friend to get his butt to Ohio. OSU has some very nice graduate school options.

      Delete
  5. This is not helping me to pretend that this is not happening. Oh well-time to face the music. I love you Ton G and am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is best we stop pretending. haha. We only got a few weeks left, we need to party it up!

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy that you have found your direction, Toni! It may be hard and scary, but if it is anything like our move to Oregon, it will be exactly the right thing for you and your next step will be there waiting!! Good luck with the move! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you ever make it out east again please come visit!

      Delete